Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

4th axis missing steps Options · View
Jim Heimann
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 9:23:10 PM
Groups: Member

Hoss, I have the same 4th axis you do (stepper on a lathe head and same pulleys but I'm running a G540) and I cant get it to make a cut without missing steps, the code looks good on the toolpath screen and it cuts close to what it should somtimes but other times not sure what it's doing. I set up the steps per using the set-up feature on the Diag page and noticed my steps per are 10.20008 making it hard to get a managable accel velocity setting. I noticed your steps per are over 2000, even without microstepping I'm not even close to that, I'm not sure what I did.
Gen Config page I have A axis angular checked but nothing under rotational checked.
Toolpath config page I have use radius for feedrate, X axis and A rotations enabled all checked.
On the settings page I have the rotaion radius value filled in.
I hope you can help cause I'm about to scrap the 4th axis project, maybe trade it for a reprap machine.wink
Hoss
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:02:49 AM
Groups: Administration

I likely had 2000 steps if I had it set up as linear, 1 rev of the spindle would equal 1.0 on the DRO. I really just used that for engraving on the OD.
most times it was set up as angular with 1.0 on the DRO equaling 1 degree of spindle rotation. the steps per would have been like 5.55 in that case.
to test, make a mark on the spindle and in MDI tell it G0A180, it should rotate half way.
Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here.-Roy Batty
Jim Heimann
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 4:13:15 PM
Groups: Member

I will try it in linear mode and mess with the accel/velocity some more before I give up on it. Thanks Hoss